Education for Professional Ministry
Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Programs allow ministers, seminarians
and other religiously-oriented persons to develop counseling skills, familiarity
with a particular pastoral setting (usually within a hospital, parish,
hospice, retirement home, etc.) and self-awareness as pastoral care-givers.
Attention is given to enhancing the dignity of patients, family members,
parishioners, staff and CPE students within this context.
The educational approach may be described as “actionreflection-
action,” with students providing pastoral care on assigned areas
and using their experiences for reflection and learning.
While seminary courses often provide an academic basis for the theology
of pastoral care, CPE emphasizes learning by doing. Seminary field education
experiences do not provide the same level of intensity of direct supervision,
peer interaction, or accountability for one’s professional functioning
as does CPE.
To learn more download the CPE Brochure.
Clinical Pastoral Education and Spiritual Care
- The Pastoral Care Department is an accredited site for Clinical Pastoral
- CPE offers clinical training in pastoral care and counseling.
Accreditation is through the College of Pastoral Supervision and Psychotherapy,
Two levels of CPE training are available
- CPE Resident: 1 year, full-time, stipend position
- CPE Intern: 15 week training-course
- Both Residents and Interns serve as Chaplains and attend seminars to develop
skills in Pastoral Care and Counseling.
- For more information please contact 240-566-3607
Clinical Pastoral Education Intern Program
The Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) Intern program is advanced clinical
training in pastoral care and counseling accredited through the College
of Pastoral Supervision and Psychotherapy. It is composed of approximately
100 hours of seminar time and 300 hours of clinical time.
- Download the 2016-2017 Schedule
Download the Application, please submit to:
Frederick Memorial Hospital
Pastoral Care Department
Attention: Ms Kim Pyles, Administrative Assistant
400 W 7th Street Frederick, MD 21701
- Applications are handled on a “first come” basis
- Tuition is $400 per unit / 50% discount for FMH Volunteer Chaplains an
invoice will be sent to educational institutions if CPE is taken for academic credit
- For further information please feel free to call 240-566-3607.