Classes & Education
Breastfeeding Education & Support
BabyBEST - Breastfeeding Education and Support Together - is a program
offered by the BirthPlace to support nursing mothers. Recognizing that
breast milk is the best nutrition for babies, our lactation consultants
promote successful breastfeeding by offering education, consultations
and breast pump rentals.
Baby BEST services include:
- A monthly class for expectant couples – call 240-566-4367 to register
- A telephone helpline
- In-patient breastfeeding rounds daily
- Breastfeeding supplies and breast pump supplies for sale
- Bravado nursing bras available for purchase
- Assistance with bra fitting available
- High -grade electric breast pump rentals
- Weekly support group for breastfeeding mothers and their babies
How do you reach the Baby BEST program?
The Baby BEST telephone number is 240-566-3880. The telephone line has
voice mail and is checked several times daily. Our services are available
by appointment. The Baby BEST office is located near the BirthPlace on
the first floor of the hospital.
Who provides the Baby BEST services?
Services are provided by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants.
Lactation consultants are health care professionals who specialize in
the management of breastfeeding.
"Small Wonder" for Children Ages 3-7
We offer tours of the FMH BirthPlace designed specifically for 3 to 7-year-old
sisters and brothers-to-be. This is a wonderful way to acquaint siblings
with the hospital before the newborn's arrival. Children and their
parents will visit a Family Center room to show them where Mommy and the
new baby will stay.
Your child will:
- learn how to properly hold & diaper baby by practicing with dolls
- see a movie about a new baby joining the family
- be photographed for the Small Wonder showcase located on the BirthPlace
(after the baby's arrival, the photo may then be placed in newborn's
- discuss infant safety
- receive a gift bag created especially for new siblings!
Small Wonder classes are held monthly on a Saturday morning. $40.00 (includes
materials) - call 240-566-4367 to register.
*Pre-registration is required