Neurosciences Department in Frederick, MD
Excellence in Neurological Care for Frederick County
Frederick Regional Health System provides a full spectrum of excellent
care for our patients in Maryland, from Gettysburg in the north to Mt.
Airy in the east to Montgomery County in the South to the Eastern panhandle
of West Virginia to the west. This includes our neurosurgery department.
Our hospital has been serving this region since 1902, and we continue
to focus on providing care with professionalism and compassion while reaching
higher standards of excellence in care.
What Does a Neurologist Do?
A neurologist focuses on treating diseases that affect the nervous system,
which consists of both the central and the peripheral nervous system.
This includes diseases and conditions that affect the brain and / or the
spinal cord. Neurologists are extensively trained medical professionals
who must graduate from medical school, finish internships, and complete
three years of training in neurology residency programs before they are
allowed to practice.
Do I Need to See a Neurologist?
Some symptoms you might experience that could prompt you to schedule a
visit with a neurologist:
- Difficulty with movements such as walking
- Jerks / tremors that affect movement
- Unusual muscle weakness
- Tingling / numb sensations
- Dizziness including vertigo
- Vision problems
- Sudden feelings of confusion / memory loss
- Trouble sleeping
- Chronic pain
- Serious headaches
Conditions Treated by Our Neurosurgery Department
Our neurosurgery department treats the following conditions, among others:
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Tumors / injuries to the peripheral nerve
- Spinal stenosis
- Brain / spinal abscesses
- Spinal fractures
- Chiari malformation
- Herniated discs
- Blood clots
- Degenerative disc diseases
- Brain bleeds
- Hemorrhaging brain tumors
- Cerebral vascular malformations / aneurysms in the spine or brain
- Back or neck pain treatment / artificial disc implantation
- Carpal tunnel syndrome treatment
- Cauda equine syndrome treatment
- Pituitary tumors
- Sports injuries to the brain / spine
- Traumatic injuries to the brain / spine
If you have questions about our neurology services in Frederick County
and surrounding areas, contact our office today for more information.