The Spine Works Program is a dedicated center within Frederick Memorial
Hospital, specifically designed for spine surgery, recovery and rehabilitation.
The Spine Works at FMH blends the talents of a team of experienced and
expert clinical professionals-physicians, nurses and rehabilitation therapists-
who treat patients who have had spine surgery, delivery the highest quality of care.
The program uses patient friend, state of the art, efficient clinical
program model, developed specifically for the surgical spine patient and
his or her family.
Goals of the Program Include:
- Superior quality and cost efficiency through use of clinical order sets
proven to result in excellent patient outcomes.
- Improved service to the Frederick community by offering educational programs
on the commons sources, diagnosis and treatment of neck and back pain.
- Increased patient satisfaction through education, pre-surgical preparation,
setting and meeting realistic patient expectations, including a predictable
hospital experience and discharge to home usually after only four days
with home health care and rehabilitation services, or directly to outpatient services.
Program Core Elements:
- Pre-Surgical Patient Education
- Participating Surgeon Teams
- Dedicated Pre-Surgical Rehab Team
- Dedicated Inpatient Nursing and Rehabilitation Staff
- Pre-Admission Screening
- Perioperative Services
- Discharge Planning
- Dedicated Private Rooms
- Dedicated Home Health Planning and Case Management Services
- The patient must receive patient education regarding their surgery, expectations
and outcome. Family and friends are heavily encouraged to participate
in the patient experience, educational material and rehabilitation process.
- Surgery is performed on designated days of the week, allowing patients
to move through a carefully designed course of treatment individually
and as a group. Depending on the type of surgery your length of stay may
vary. Some surgeries can return to home in less than 24 hours. Others
can anticipate typically a 1-2 day Inpatient recovery in the Spine Works
Program at FMH.
- Intensive rehabilitation services are utilized to allow patients to move
through a carefully designed course of individual and group therapy.
Types of Surgery
- Fusion or articificial disc replacement
We are pleased with the results to date for The Spine Works program at
FMH. The collaborative efforts of hospital and medical staff have generated
a truly unique and quality clinical experience for joint replacement patients.
The use of standardized order sets, dedicated staffing and dedicated facility
space, coupled with standard-of care clinical elements, has led to superior
clinical care and greatly enhanced efficiencies. Feedback from patients/families
and from physicians is overwhelmingly favorable.
For more information, please contact the
Spine Works Program Coordinator (240) 566-3785.