The Joint Works at FMH is a dedicated center within Frederick Memorial
Hospital, specifically designed for joint replacement, recovery and rehabilitation.The
Joint Works at FMH blends the talents of a team of experienced and expert
clinical professionals—physicians, nurses and rehabilitation therapists—who
treat joint replacement patients every day, delivering the highest quality
care. The program uses a patient friendly, state-of theart, efficient
clinical program model, developed specifi cally for the joint replacement
patient and his or her family. The program began in March 2005 and has
been extremely successful.
Find a Physician to search by specialty or visit
Monocacy Health Partners to view the MHP Provider Directory.
Goals of the Program Include:
- Superior quality and cost efficiency through use of clinical order sets
proven to result in excellent patient outcomes.
- Improved service to the Frederick community by offering educational programs
on the common sources, diagnosis and treatment of hip and knee pain.
- Increased patient satisfaction through education, pre-surgical preparation,
setting and meeting realistic patient expectations, including a predictable
hospital experience and discharge to home usually in less than 24 hours
and up to 1-2 days with home health care and rehabilitation services,
or directly to an outpatient facility.
Program Core Elements:
- Pre-Surgical Patient Education
- Participating Surgeon
- Dedicated Nursing and Rehabilitation Staff
- Pre-Admission Screening
- Perioperative Services
- Discharge Planning
- Dedicated Private Rooms
- Dedicated FMH Home Health Planning and Case Management Services
- The patient must attend a three hour pre-surgical patient education class
in advance of surgery. The patient can plan to receive detailed education
regarding the process of joint replacement surgery to ensure best patient outcomes.
- Family and friends are strongly urged to attend, as well. A special focus
on family involvement includes an invitation to family to be actively
involved in all stages of Joint Works rehabilitation Therapies.
- Surgery is performed on designated days of the week, allowing patients
to move through a carefully designed course of treatment individually
and as a group. Depending on the type of surgery your Length of stay may
vary. Some surgeries can return to home in less than 24 hours. Others
can anticipate typically a 1-2 day Inpatient recovery in the Joint Works
Program at FMH.
- Intensive rehabilitation services are utilized to allow patients to move
through a carefully designed course of individual and group therapy. Group
therapy leads to increased exercise tolerance, with friendly and natural
competition resulting in patients working harder to achieve exercise goals.
The group model of care dramatically increases socialization and companionship
among patients, changing what could be a lonely and fearful experience
into one that is satisfying to the patient.
We are pleased with the results to date for The Joints Works program at
FMH. The collaborative efforts of hospital and medical staff have generated
a truly unique and quality clinical experience for joint replacement patients.
The use of standardized order sets, dedicated staffi ng and dedicated
facility space, coupled with standard-ofcare clinical elements, has led
to superior clinical care and greatly enhanced effi ciencies. Feedback
from patients/families and from physicians is overwhelmingly favorable.
For more information, please contact the Joint Works Program Coordinator
Center of Excellence
The Joint Works program at FMH has received the following designations
for program excellence:
- From the National BlueCross and BlueShield Association, a Blue Distinction
Center of Excellence for Hip and Knee Surgery
- An Aetna Institute of Quality designation as an Orthopaedic Care Total
Joint Replacement program