What can you do to help?
Do NOT jeopardize your own safety - Some drugs can cause violent and unpredictable behavior. Call for professional
Do NOT try to reason with someone who is on drugs - Do not expect them to behave reasonably.
Do NOT offer your opinions when giving help - You do not need to know why drugs were taken in order to give effective
- 2-1-1 Maryland connects you to health and human service resources in your community
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 180 languages
- If the person is in immediate danger, threatening to hurt themselves or
someone else, or is unresponsive.
Help Them Find a Provider
- The Mental Health Association of Frederick/301.662.2255
- Call insurance company and ask for providers in the area that take their
- The person needs a therapist, counselor, psychiatrist – with either
a mental health and/or substance abuse focus.
- If they prefer, help them find a fitting religious group or leader to help
Substance Disorder Treatments
- Outpatient professionals
- Inpatient setting – acute medical detox, rehab
- Peer supports
- Religious/Spiritual support
Detox or Rehab, which is which?
- Get the poison out of the body
- stabilize from withdrawal
- Acute, inpatient medical process in a hospital on a medical floor
- Learn to live without the substances.
- Life skills
- Communication Skills
- Hygiene and self-care
- 14-45 day residential program at a rehabilitation facility