Drivers who operate tractor-trailers, buses, and other commercial vehicles are held to high standards of professionalism and safety. This makes it particularly important to diagnose and treat drivers who may be at risk for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and other sleep disorders that can cause drowsy driving.
The Commercial Driver Sleep Testing Program is specifically tailored to meet the needs of commercial drivers and their employers.
What FMH Can Offer to Commercial Drivers
- Convenience and Security: Located less than five miles from Interstate Routes 70, 270, and US Route 15, FMH offers parking for commercial vehicles that is monitored by security personnel 24 hours daily.
- Diagnostic Testing: FMH can perform an attended polysomnogram (PSG) or split-night study for drivers, which is the gold standard method for diagnosing Obstructive Sleep Apnea. FMH also performs the Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT) for drivers previously diagnosed with sleep apnea.
- CPAP Testing: Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) is the preferred method for treating OSA. FMH can perform a CPAP titration study, which determines how the driver should use his or her CPAP machine.
- Coordination of CPAP Equipment Setup: Once a CPAP titration has been done, our staff will guide the driver through the process of obtaining CPAP equipment through a company that is convenient to the driver’s location and schedule.
Potential Benefits for Trucking Companies
- Healthier Drivers
- Decreased health care and disability costs—according to a recent study, savings can reach up to $6,000 per driver over two years
- Decreased risk of accidents
To schedule a sleep study at FMH, a driver’s primary care provider must complete and submit a sleep study order form by fax to 301-831-4563.
For information about scheduling and coordination of commercial vehicle parking, please call our scheduling staff at 240-566-3802.
If you have additional questions about the Commercial Driver Sleep Testing Program or if you are interested in how FMH can assist your company in promoting healthy sleep, please call the Sleep Center Supervisor at 240-566-4827.