We want to reunite you with your family member or friend as quickly as it is safe to do so, and we understand that your support is important to their recovery. The following guidelines apply to all surgical visitors at the hospital:
- Outpatients can have one visitor in the PACU when the patient is approximately 20 minutes from being discharged. This person should be individual who will be caring for the patient at home. Discharge instructions will be reviewed with them as well as the patient.
- There will be no visitors in the PACU when the patient is being admitted as an inpatient or short stay. They will be reunited with the patient in the hospital room.
- No children of visitors or patients will be allowed in the PACU.
- If the visitor is going to leave the surgical waiting area, he/she should inform the volunteer assisting there to ensure they are present to speak with the surgeon after the procedure and available to go to the PACU when the patient is ready for discharge.
- In special instances, such as a child or for a special needs patient, a family member may be asked by the nurse to join the patient in the PACU.
- Support persons for special needs patients will be called to the PACU when the nurse determines the need.