Leaders coach you to recognize your risk of falling and help you build
the balance, strength, and practical skills in a fun, hands-on way.
Stepping On workshops meet for 2 hours every week for 7 weeks. Local experts,
trained leaders, and other group members support and encourage you to
find solutions to make your home safer and your body stronger. You'll
regain the confidence to stay active in your community and do the things
you want to do.
With Stepping On, you'll learn:
- To identify and remove fall hazards from your home
- To see and avoid fall hazards out in your community
- To get back on your feet the right way if you fall
- How vision and hearing affect your risk of falling
- To use walking aids the right way
- To choose safe footwear for all your activities
- Strength and balance exercises you can adapt to your individual level
- How medications play a role in your risk of falls
Stepping On is appropriate for older adults who live in their own homes
or apartments (including independent apartments in senior housing complexes
or retirement communities).
The workshop is targeted to those who:
- Live in a home or apartment
- Have fallen in the past year or have a fear of falling
- Are able to walk without the help of another person and don't use a
walker, scooter, or wheelchair most of the time for indoor mobility
- Are cognitively intact (able to fill out forms, follow written and verbal
directions, and interact in a group setting)
- Individuals taking Stepping On need to be able to do standing balance exercises
Caregivers and family members are encouraged to attend. All workshops
are free to participants.
Interpreters are available by advance request.
Please call 240-566-4370 at least one week in advance to request an interpreter.
ATENCIÓN: si habla español, tiene a su disposición
servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 240-566-4370.
ATTENTION: Si vous parlez français, des services d'aide linguistique
vous sont proposés gratuitement. Appelez le 240-566-4370.