The start of summer means the start of berry season! Blackberries, blueberries,
cherries, grapes, raspberries, and strawberries are healthy, seasonal
additions to your next meal or snack.
Berries are bursting with antioxidants and phytochemicals that are thought
to help boost our immune systems. You can enjoy berries year-round; fresh,
frozen, canned, dried, or 100% juice—all forms contain the health
benefits of berries.
BERRIES: DID YOU KNOW?
- Strawberries have more vitamin C per serving than an orange.
- Raspberries can be found in assorted colors including gold, black and purple,
but red raspberries are the most common.
- Technically, the blackberry is a drupelet, a cluster or fruits, like a
bunch of grapes.
- Anthocyanins, flavonoids thought to help protect our brains, give blackberries
their glossy, dark color.
- Blueberries don’t have as much vitamin C as other berries but are
packed with other phytonutrients.
- To ensure your berries stay fresh, keep them dry and only wash right before
you eat them.
Try some of our latest recipes:
Blueberry Salad with Berry Dijon Vinaigrette
Strawberry and Shrimp Pasta Salad
Strawberry Banana Oat Smoothie