The Spine Works Program is a dedicated center within Frederick Memorial
Hospital, specifically designed for spine surgery, recovery and rehabilitation.
The Spine Works at FMH blends the talents of a team of experienced and
expert clinical professionals-physicians, nurses and rehabilitation therapists-
who treat patients who have had spine surgery. The program uses a patient
friendly, state of the art, efficient clinical program model, developed
specifically for the surgical spine patient and his or her family.
Goals of the Program Include:
- Superior quality and cost efficiency through use of clinical order sets
proven to result in excellent patient outcomes.
- Improved service to the Frederick community by offering educational programs
on the commons sources, diagnosis and treatment of neck and back pain.
- Increased patient satisfaction through education, pre-surgical preparation,
setting and meeting realistic patient expectations, including a predictable
hospital experience and discharge to home usually after only four days
with home health care and rehabilitation services, or directly to outpatient services.
Program Core Elements:
- Pre-Surgical Patient Education
- Participating Surgeon Teams
- Dedicated Pre-Surgical Rehab Team
- Dedicated Inpatient Nursing and Rehabilitation Staff
- Pre-Admission Screening
- Perioperative Services
- Discharge Planning
- Dedicated Private Rooms
- Dedicated Home Health Planning and Case Management Services
- The patient must receive patient education regarding their surgery, expectations
and outcome. Family and friends are heavily encouraged to participate
in the patient experience, educational material and rehabilitation process.
- Surgery is performed on designated days of the week, allowing patients
to move through a carefully designed course of treatment individually
and as a group. Depending on the type of surgery your length of stay may
vary. Some surgeries can return to home in less than 24 hours. Others
can anticipate typically a 1-2 day Inpatient recovery in the Spine Works
Program at FMH.
- Intensive rehabilitation services are utilized to allow patients to move
through a carefully designed course of individual and group therapy.
Types of Surgery
- Fusion or artificial disc replacement
We are pleased with the results to date for The Spine Works program at
FMH. The collaborative efforts of hospital and medical staff have generated
a truly unique and quality clinical experience for joint replacement patients.
The use of standardized order sets, dedicated staffing and dedicated facility
space, coupled with standard-of care clinical elements, has led to superior
clinical care and greatly enhanced efficiencies. Feedback from patients/families
and from physicians is overwhelmingly favorable.
For more information, please contact the
Spine Works Program Coordinator (240) 566-3785.